Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Book Review: Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

Image (c) Bantam Spectra
Haunted (Women of the Underworld #5) by Kelley Armstrong
Release Date: May 31st, 2015
Book Format: Paperback from my own personal library.
Rating: Five Stars
The afterlife isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…

Former supernatural superpower Eve Levine has broken all the rules. But she’s never broken a promise—not even during the three years she’s spent in the afterworld. So when the Fates call in a debt she gave her word she’d pay, she has no choice but to comply.

For centuries one of the ghost world’s wickedest creatures has been loosed on humanity, thwarting every attempt to retrieve her. Now it has fallen to Eve to capture this demi-demon known as the Nix, who inhabits the bodies of would-be killers, compelling them to complete their deadly acts. It’s a mission that becomes all too personal when the Nix targets those Eve loves most—including Savannah, the daughter she left on earth. But can a renegade witch succeed where a host of angels have failed?


(Slight spoilers to the previous books, if you have yet to read them.)

I've started reading the Tales of the Otherworld series when I was in middle school. I don't think I've ever gotten farther than Industrial Magic. Actually, that was probably the only book I read from the series, as far as I can remember, even though I owned that copy and the other three books on my bookshelf. I never really thought about diving into the series until fairly recently when I found a signed copy of Thirteen at my local store (and it was the last copy too- how convenient) and I figured I owed it another read. Besides... I've been dying to read more about my favorite witches (specifically Paige and Savannah).

Haunted is centered around a previously deceased witch- Savannah's mother, Eve Levine. Earlier on in Industrial Magic, Paige and Lucas almost lost their lives and passed away for good had it not been for Eve making a deal with the Fates. Now, she's been called back to deliver on that promise- to retrieve a demi-demon called 'Nix'. A mission that where two others have failed to finish. It's already a difficult task that has been turned onto the witch... it gets even more difficult when she realizes that the Nix decided that their next target will be the ones closest in Eve's afterlife. One of them being Savannah.

This was a pretty eventful ride. Normally, I don't really like going back in time in the books I read, but I feel like this benefits more than anything. I liked that I got to see what sort of victims was pulled in the Nix's schemes and it helped me, as a reader, why it's so important to pursue this antagonist rather than barely seeing much of her (because, otherwise, I wouldn't know much of the Nix's intentions at all) and their reasoning do tie together in the end... ironically so, I should add. The story, on the main plot, didn't feel cluttered and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Eve: I'm so glad that I got to get to know her rather than just the reminder in the back of my mind that she's only just Savannah's mother and a powerful witch. She also proved that it was more than just a label- she can certainly hold her own in a fight. But she has also shown her weakened sides to show that she's not entirely perfect. I also loved how the relationship between her and Kristof slowly bloomed during the mist of the troubles (but NOT in an annoying way that it got in the way of the main plot). I loved it.

Oh, and you get to see Savannah, Paige and Lucas again. All three of them still remain to be kickass, as usual (in my personal opinion- of course). But, of course, you'll meet more characters who'll be just a memorable and entertaining (and just as dangerous). Needless to say, you won't be bored.

Overall, this was a fun read and I am more than excited to read the next book. I guess that's the plus side of reading a series that's already finished- you don't have to wait for the other books to be published. :D

Originally posted and shared on December 5th, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment