Monday, December 26, 2016

Book Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Image (c) HarperTeen
Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 28th, 2012
Book Format: Library Book
Rating: Three stars
I’m pushing aside
the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana
and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

 I feel bad that there were many moments where I kept constantly telling myself how much I loved this author's debut book throughout reading this one. It was the first book that got me to want to read whatever book she's written (and will write). Before I Fall was a wonderful book and I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, I finally get the chance to get my own copy of the book. It was that good.

I didn't have that same magical feeling reading this book.

This book ends after 'Delirium', a little bit after she escapes her home and goes into the wilderness and she meets her new 'family'. At the same time (told in criss-crossing chapters) it jumps into what is considered 'now' and where she is an active part of the community now. Um. What? I can sort of understand this jump, though, I didn't note any seamless transition between the both of them so I'm just left wondering how this happened and why wasn't I given a proper explanation as to how Lena, Raven, and the rest of the group even got back into the city.

But I digress.

I don't know what it was about this book, but I just didn't like it as much as the first one. I most definitely didn't like it compared to the debut book. It just lost this spark that I miss from 'If I Fall' which makes me sad. Lena did grow up, though, and I feel like she gathered some of her independence through this experience. I didn't like her sudden love interest with Julian. I didn't like the ending at all. This was a casual read for me but I didn't fall in love with the book.

It's a good, dystopian book, and as long as you don't think too hard on it or are just looking for a casual read this'll be a good book for you. 

Originally posted and shared on January 4th, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment