Sunday, December 25, 2016

Book Review: Starters by Lissa Price

Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price
Release Date: March 13th, 2012
Book Format: Library book
Rating: Four stars
HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .


My former roommate loved this book. A lot of people who've read this book loved it (at least, from what I've seen from some people I follow on twitter, that is). I probably should have gotten a hold of this book when my roommate read it, but with being in college at the time and all it didn't really cross my mind. Now I have almost plenty of time to read and I just recently got this back in my hands.

We follow a girl named Callie (eh heh heh...) who lost her parents during the Spore Wars. Her parents weren't the only ones who were affected- according to Cal, everyone between 20 and 60 lost their lives to the spores. There wasn't even a guarantee that the teenagers who did take the vaccination would be safe anyhow so there could be a chance that some of them passed away nonetheless? (It wasn't entirely clear on why the teens survived and not anyone between the ages of 20 and 60...). Still, it didn't change the fact that despite the little bit of money that she received from her parents, Callie and her little brother Tyler were still on the run. They have no place to call home and they flit place to place in order to remain safe. They need a place to stay to keep safe.

Cal has been keeping her eye on a place called Prime Destination- a business that takes youths and teenagers' bodies (by their own will, of course) and use them for older people to rent them out called renters. To help them make them feel more youthful. It is only temporary, of course, and the teenagers are promised money. It's enough for a place to stay and Callie knows she can't afford to ignore this. Not when her young brother's heath is on the line. But things go awfully wrong after the third renter takes her body- a glitch that causes her to return back in her body but everyone's convinced that she's her renter: Helen Winterfell. But there's a plot forming and, suddenly, Callie realized too late that there's something bigger than her out there and she's caught in the middle of it all.

I have to admit- at the beginning, after the glitch started, I found myself incredibly confused. One of the main reasons is, admittingly, from my reading the synopsis of the story wrong. This is probably why it took me a while to get this book finished because, on top of that, I've been suffering with a small headache for most likely over a week at this point. But still, I found it to be painfully slow at first. Once I got further into the book though, it was smooth sailing.

One of the things that irritated me was the insta-love, but it ended up being cleared up around the end. One of my fears, around the beginning, was that it would center on this insta-love for a short while but thankfully that wasn't the case at all.

There were other minor things that bothered me but, overall, it was a good book. I'll most likely find myself reading the sequel once I get my hands on it- mostly because there were many unanswered questions that I want answers to. On top of that, there are novellas that I didn't even realized were released til after I finished this book. I'm going to read those as soon as I have some extra change to space, for sure. ;v;

Originally posted and shared on February 5th, 2014
 


No comments:

Post a Comment